The redbrick Alma Inn, Copford Green, which was trading under that name by 1870, was built c. 1860 as a house with a small brewery and shoemaker's shop at the back.
By 1908 it was a free public house leased from Messrs. Greene, King & Sons.
The Alma, along with the Church, the Cricket Club and the local school plays an essential role in the village community. The pub has been host to a brewery, a cobbler, a barber and held local meetings & inquests.
In more recent years it has provided a social space for the community to meet, as well as being involved in many local initiatives. It is our intention to continue in that tradition and to provide a warm and friendly atmosphere, for all.
While remaining a “locals” pub, we aim to provide a warm welcome to everyone.
We have a great team, which includes some old and new faces.
Michelle, who has worked at the pub for four years and is a real Tour de Force now heads up the team of 15 people all working to offer great hospitality. Michelle is always on the look out for local people who are keen to have their first job as a runner / waiter or kitchen assistant.
You will be happy to know that Brendan Timms and his team are still making great food in the kitchen